Solus Invictus

Thoughts and Contemplations on the Conquering Son

January 3, 2007

Every Opportunity - Acts 8:4-8


The early church had seen its first martyr, Stephen, and then witnessed the beginning of massive persecution, including the murderous threat of Saul. Yet as men and women alike were being dragged from their own homes for no real crime but preaching the gospel, the followers of Christ were only more emboldened!

We find Phillip, who had been selected as one of the Seven earlier in Acts, proclaiming the good news in Samaria, and performing miracles. It's interesting to note that Philip was "merely" a deacon before this, one who saw to the mundane needs of widows and orphans, not a preacher or evangelist. With the constant threat of persecution, however, God calls Philip out to a new role, and even sends him into what most Jews would consider enemy territory!

I find that I often respond to life's persecutions by becoming defensive, shutting up, cowering or even running away; a stark contrast to the zeal and faith of these early believers! Reading about Philip and others who strove to preach the gospel at every opportunity fills me with a strong desire to be more bold and trust God more as I share my faith with those around me. Don't get me wrong; I'm no gifted evangelist or preacher myself, but I know that doesn't mean I won't be called upon to step into that role at times, and when I am, I pray that my response will be that of Philip.

How do you react to persecution or ridicule? Do you look for every opportunity to share the truth of Christ's love and sacrifice with those you are in contact with? What areas of your life need to be surrendered to Him?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home